In the 21st century, we look towards the understanding of concepts AND we are looking to elevate MUCH MORE critical thinking and reasoning. For this reason, I encourage teachers to engage students in the critical thinking practices of a historian. Move beyond the reports...deepen learning and student thinking through inviting students to analyze artifacts.
|From the National Museum of the American Indian|
- What do you think this artifact is?
- How do you think think this artifact may have been used by the __________ culture?
- What questions might you ask? What are you wondering?
- Art museums choose artifacts to help you understand cultures that live in different times and places. What do you think this artifact tells you about the ___________ culture?
- National Museum of the American Indian - Teachers can use this search tool to find artifacts by cultural region. This is a massive collection.
- Infinity of Nations: Culture Quest - This highly interactive site allows students to examine different cultural artifacts from many of the North American Native American cultural regions. Regions included are Northwest Coast, California, Southwest, Eastern Woodlands, Arctic and Great Plains.